Thursday, November 21, 2013

welcome & protect

A couple weeks ago I was standing in the back of the church stationed as the well known greeter.

greeter.

Though I don't like to admit it, I wasn't too thrilled to be the greeter (at least not at the time).

I am loud.
I am outgoing.
I smile.

Seems like I had everything a good greeter should have.

Standing in the back during worship one of the girls gets up to use the restroom and walks past me and says:

"greeter?"

I nod.

Then without my asking. Without my expecting. She shares with me some wisdom that changed the way I will think about being a greeter forever.

She told me that she likes being the greeter because it is a lot like being a watchman.

You stand at the door to welcome and to protect. 
To guard the door of the house. 

Such a simple concept, but provoking for me.

1 comment: