litte tree
e.e. cummings
"that sleep all the year in a dark box
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine,
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,
put up your little arms
and i'll give them all to you to hold
every finger shall have its ring
and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy
then when you're quite dressed
you'll stand in the window for everyone to see
and how they'll stare!
oh but you'll be very proud"
Today we put up our Christmas tree. It was a lovely time with my mom and dad.
Despite how much I hate the tasks of putting the tree together, spreading all the branches out, and getting all the lights to work, it is all worth it when we start unpacking the ornaments.
My mom sets them out on a table for us to put on the tree. It doesn't matter which ornaments are on the table I still want to dig into the bottom of the box and see what ornaments are down there.
Then my mom starts saying that we have a smaller tree so we are going to have to limit the number of ornament, but I didn't listen, when see wasn't looking I would dig back into the boxes and pull out more ornaments. I wanted to put one on every branch!
I almost did!
But she caught me.
I just love the ornaments.
Why?
Cause they are pretty and sparkly and glow when surrounded by a strand of lights?
Yeah, but more than that, I think it is the memories.
It is the people who gave us the ornaments, or the people the ornaments remind us of.
It is the thoughts of times gone by, all the memories made and times cherished that make Christmas trees so beautiful.
So I urge you to tell those around you how you remembered them, even in the little things, like an ornament, because you never know who touched they will be.

No comments:
Post a Comment