Sunday, December 4, 2011

Perfect Timing

Facts about Jewish law that will come in handy when reading this entry:

1.The Sabbath began at sundown on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday.
2. It is against Jewish law to do physical work or to travel on the Sabbath.
3. It is also against Jewish law to let a dead body remain exposed overnight (Deuteronomy 21:23).

Jesus died just a few hours before sundown on the Sabbath, meaning that God had perfect time in his death. Joseph of Arimathea came to bury Jesus' body before Sabbath began (Mark 15:43). If Jesus had died on the Sabbath when Joseph was unavailable, his body would have been taken down by the Romans. Had the Romans taken Jesus' body, no Jews could have confirmed his death, and opponents could have disputed his resurrection.

In summary, God's timing was perfect.
One of my favorite movies is The Wedding Planner. It that movie there is a line, "Have you ever loved someone, but that timing was off. Way off." How often have I felt that way? Wishing that I could skip over certain times of my life to get to the better days. In middle school I just wanted to be in High School. In High school I wanted to graduate. In college I want to get married.

When will I stop rushing through life?
More importantly, when will I humble myself God's will and HIS timing and say, "Alright God, you got this one."

Living life as a waiting game is miserable. That is not how God created us to live. This example of Christ's death is only one of many examples of how perfect God's timing is. I could devote an entire blog to entry after entry filled with different examples of how perfect God's timing is.  Here is the kicker:

Would it change the way you approach life?

I pray it does.

1 comment:

  1. Woah. Beth, this is awesome :):) I REALLY needed to hear this, because I've been really struggling with remembering that God's timing is always perfect. And I never even realized the whole thing about the Sabbath and Jesus dying at the perfect time. That's CRAZY!!! God is so good :)

    ReplyDelete