(Or maybe it is just me.)
When I try to build up a relationship with someone, whether it be dating or a friendship, I work to get to know that person. Their favorite color, what food they like, the type of music they listen to, and movies the would love to watch on repeat.
I put effort into loving them. It is something that I work at and I am intentional about.
Then I go home and beat myself up. Don't lie, we all do it once and awhile. Hate what we wore that day, or how much we ate for dinner, or what we did or didn't say. The end of the day is filled with regrets for the decisions I made.
Why?
I don't love myself.
Therefore, I can't forgive myself and move on.
I think so many (way more than would admit it) are carrying around the baggage of self loathing. That's why people can't stand to be alone. They hate themselves.
I was one of those people. Never content being alone. Always had to be with someone or texting someone, right until the moment I fell asleep at night.
That is a sad and lonely life.
And ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you this... if that is how you feel, not man or woman, no matter how great, loving, and forgiving can make you love yourself. You have to decide that.
Enjoy being you. Be proud of your ideas. Think you are beautiful.
Love yourself.
Because contrary to popular belief you must love yourself before you can truly love others.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.
Mark 12:30-31
The truth is: I was not loving my neighbors as myself because I didn't love myself.
Oh, this is so true! It's so easy to not love ourselves, and the world just pushes it at us more and more all the time. "You're not good enough. You're junk." It hits us every moment of every day, makes it so hard to remember that He created us and He does not make junk. We have to start seeing ourselves as His masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10, NLT), still a mess, still incapable of doing everything right, but beautifully and wonderfully made, and perfectly loved.
ReplyDelete