Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Spiral of Silence Theory

The Spiral of Silence Theory explains how public opinion can minimize social expression of minority opinion while exaggerating the power of the majority.

Thanks to German researcher Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann and the help of my Intro to Communications class I now understand this theory.

People who perceive themselves to be in a minority don't say anything, whereas people who perceive themselves to be in the majority are more motivated to speak.

Being quiet because you don't think others will agree with what you say only helps the Spiral of Silence.  The more people who don't speak up, the less a minority is represented. This also means that through not helping the minority you are unintentionally helping the majority grow stronger.

Why do I write this blog with this long explanation of some random theory I learned in my Intro to Communications class? Two reasons:

1. I found it very interesting.
2. It is very true for me.

I bite my tongue way to often and don't say what I want to or should say.  I don't express the things I love because I am afraid people will make fun of me. By doing this I am forcing my personality, and ultimately who God created me to be into silence.

I no longer know what I believe or what I am passionate about because it has been so long since I have expressed it.

So here goes, for those of you who want to know more about me here is a list of 10 things:

1. I have a very sensitive heart that breaks for the hurting and lost of the world. It brings me to tears.
2. I am passionate about TOMS shoes the One for One movement that they stand for.
3. I love John 13 when Jesus washes the disciples' feet because I think there is something so beautiful about humility, especially the act of washing someone's feet.
4. I love vintage things. Cameos. Old dishes and vases. Suitcases. There is something beautiful about the history they represent.
5. I am a woman who is thankful for the little things in life like a warm coat with a nice big hood or a dry pair of socks on a rainy day.
6. I love the rain.
7. And picnics (pronounced pic-I-nic).
8. Swinging makes me feel like I am flying and so I will never past up and opportunity to go to a park.
9. I believe trees are a great metaphor for how we should try to live a Christian life (plus they are beautiful).
10. I like talking. About anything or everything. I just enjoy communication. Hence why I started this blog.

Thanks guys and dolls. I encourage you to make your own list and pray about who God created you to be, then work towards making that person a reality throughout your everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment